In the year of 1885, a permanent organization was set apart as the result of prayer meetings held from house to house, known as Hollywood Baptist Church, Cape Charles, Virginia. The first church service was held in a rented building, located on Strawberry Street: in the downtown section of the town. The first church building was erected on a lot given to the church by the Scott Estate, in the 600 block of Monroe Avenue under the supervision of Deacon H.C. Howard.
In the summer of 1885 the church called her first pastor, Rev. J.B. Randolph. In 1899, the congregation purchased a lot on the northwest corner of Madison and Nectarine Streets, and in 1901 moved its church building from the 600 block of Monroe Avenue to its present location. At that time the name of the church was changed from Hollywood Baptist Church to First Baptist Church, Cape Charles, Virginia.
The church was extensively remodeled in 1914, and in September 1960 the church's educational building was erected.
Today, this old Ship of Zion sails on in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost under the pastorate and leadership of Pastor/Teacher Felton T. Sessoms. Under his administration, First Baptist is an affiliate of the Eastern Shore Virginia Maryland Bapstist Association & Its Ministries (ESVMBA).